The complete guide on how to monitor, understand and report on your media coverage.
Is media monitoring worth the cost?
Tracking sentiment, industry trends, competitor initiatives, and customer complaints is just about a full time job on its own. Analysing and summarizing that information is yet another! This is where the new generation of media monitoring tools shine.
Think of it like this: would you rather spend a significant sum when things have already gone wrong somewhere to answer just one of your queries, or invest a smaller sum on a regular basis to have a daily finger on the pulse - with key insights and metrics pre-packaged for you?
Labor savings aside, a good media monitoring service in the right hands can be a massive value booster across your organisation. While media monitoring is still widely misunderstood as merely a crisis prevention tool, this is a misconception that often testifies to poor understanding of the full range of applications it makes possible for a smart PR and marketing team.
Think of the following superpowers media monitoring unlocks:
- Finding and acting on customer generated product ideas
- Proactively shaping your brand sentiment on social media
- Understanding why customers start and stop using your service
- Monitoring the impact of PR efforts and product changes
- Identifying the right channels and influencers to invest in
- Gauging the efficacy of your customer care initiatives
- Being an informed and engaged part of industry conversations
- Spotting emerging market shifts, risks, and opportunities
- Track user generated content about your brand
- Get alerted of brand misuse and/or infringement
These perks are not just nice extras, they are key value drivers that make your work an important source of insights across an organisation. In sum, “is this worth it?” is really the wrong question. A more relevant question would be: “can we afford to miss out on these insights?”
What’s your next step in media monitoring?
Here at Retriever, 100+ media experts work every day to provide the key insights our customers need to act on. We understand the power of tools that help us sift down to the key information that takes your brand work to the next level. And we are more than happy to share both our tools and expertise with you through any of the monitoring solutions in the Retriever Editorial suite.
Curious to see Retriever media monitoring in action? Book a quick chat with one of our friendly consultants!
Table of contents